05 March 2015

SteppingOUT - The Dream

The DREAM - sketch
28 hours

The dream, inspired by a moment of clarity. I went to sleep one night smiling from my soul, then I dreamed of endless possibilities and woke up so incredibly inspired I sat at my sketch book till I had completed my picture, my thought, my inner conscience. Because this is how I feel deep inside happiness, colour and a genuine connection to something divine... Is it god, is it spirituality or is there really a little green man sat on top of a little green hill running the show.

The DREAM canvas
52 hours
My next task was to translate it to a canvas 20 times the size, this was something I felt I hadn't done in over 20 years and it felt like a very dawning task. Canvas' aren't cheap so staring at a blank canvas I found that I was questioning all my inner fears, because if I didn't have the skills to do this, then I would need to give up and go back to my 'day job' Well, it seems that was all the motivation i needed!

Like everyone, I simply want to be free from the worries of everyday life, those things that really no one else cares about. but somehow manage to plague my mind. I feel like I spent the first 20 years of my life being advised to 'think' and then the next 20 years I was advised not to 'think' too much!? Well I've decided to think, how I dam well please :) And in doing this, I have begun to breath.

The DREAM mini canvas
4 hours
While THE DREAM is something to work towards, I also need some smaller pieces of art. Inspired by a canvas making workshop I attended I decided it was pretty straight forward to make my own. In my current location of Hong Kong, its a very materialistic society where people simply don't do DIY, most of the time if you can't find something here in HK you can pop over the boarder to China and find it, not DIY apparently! A society set up for simply buying stuff, somethings broken? Buy a new one!
With a wardrobe full of clothing I can never seem to recycle or throw away, I decided to start cutting up my old dresses and using them as canvas' RECYCLED fashion into ART work :) I shall have a number of small items avaible for sale at my exhibition, which I will also put up on ETSY and my website so don't worry if you miss my second art exhibition, you can still scontinue to support me online. I included the number of hours spent on each piece, as I feel that sometimes people are unaware of how much time it takes to produce one idea... and while it might only take 4 hours to make a small canvas, that is only after all the design and idea process has been exicuted.

To those who have repeated in saying "you know van gouge didn't make any money!?" I want to say, "Vincent didn't have the internet and social media back then and further more... didn't well all learn something from that!" ;)

Support an artist!
Dosen't have to be my work!
Buy some art today :)

No comments: