17 August 2015

Reaching OUT - inspiration (6-11)

Reaching OUT - INSPIRATION
Several months ago, I made some random general remark on FB about me being an 'Artist' my old English teacher from school jumped in and commented about how one shouldn't label themselves... At the time I was so thrilled with this 'label' I had trouble understanding what he meant...
Recently a young man, who was trying to get me to go on a date with him, lead with, 'what do you mean you are busy, you are an artist, don't you just sit at home and doodle all day?' HAHAHA!
That's when I realised, I'm trying to get all this going on my own, so I'm an Artist, YES! but under this 'label' also includes graphic designer, marketing manager, events planner, social secretary, sales person, promoter, accounting, financial planning, writer, photographer, publicist, social and online event attendance...
Then my house wife friends say, 'how lucky youu are to be so free, I need to keep everything running in my home 24-7, i never get a day off!'
Well, As an up and coming artist who is mostly living off fresh air, do you think my place cleans itself? and I can go without cooking cleaning??? I do all that too! so lets add, cleaning, cooking, laundry and household maintenance...

Point being... labels really mean nothing at all... they are just a way to get a very basic perspective of who someone is, but how can you use one word to describe any one person when we all have such complex lives behind the labels.

After my last exhibition an old school friend commissioned a large piece of artwork from me. He told me what he liked about my artwork and said he wanted me to express my art journey on a canvas. Which actually became a sort of closing of a chapter for me on my style, progress :) I built a love hate relationship with this piece. Love because I love all my work, but hate came in as I needed to emotionally detach myself from the work that was going straight to a new home. All artwork is personal to the creator. its very personal.

An artists journey
by Arana Kennedy 
All the images I have included in this painting have been significant icons in my mind. The hunched back flute player in the sun, Both sea and sky dragons, HK skyline and buildings surrounded by nature, my first stage of red, black and gold designs, blending in newer more recent canvas are details from my mini canvas collection.
Completing this significant artwork was a milestone of sorts. I left my art behind and took a deep breath and allowd all the feedback from the past year to enter my heart and mind and really reach out and be bold for my 3rd exhibition.
early stage at the drawing board
This is where the adventure began, with an A4 piece of paper and my sharpie pens. I'd been playing with my 'goddess oracle' cards and one goddess spoke to me, Pele - the goddess of awakening and protector of the volcano in Hawaii. Within a few days of the card reading I was flicking through some TV channels and came across a documentary about the volcano in Hawaii and how you can't remove a single rock, if you do the goddess Pele would curse those who removed keepsakes from the volcano would be plagued with bad luck. This can't really be proven as such, as whatever is going on is clearly invisible to the human brain. However, many have removed 'souvenirs' and bad luck has followed. The only way to break this curse was to return the items. There staff working there report they receive heaps of packages returning these items. Proving... something is very real and going on here.
Then about 10 days later I flicked on a random movie, set in Hawaii, Pele was mentioned in the first 10 mins. 
Deal sealed, 3 very clear messages that I was to follow Pele's advice and allow myself to awaken to a more enlightened way of being.

REACHING OUT
3rd Solo Art Exhibition by Arana Kennedy
5th & 6th September 2015
Stanley Beach - Hong Kong
design and Photo by #AranaART

Starting on the canvas

Living right next to nature, I meditate daily to the sound of birds chirping from dawn to dusk. Such a peaceful and calming sound, I only need to open my windows and the choir begins. The tranquil symphony of nature, inspiring me to concentrate and focus. The image promoting one to think about birds and how incredible they are. Seeing these images displayed on the beach... you will hear nature calling you. Magically swept away into a moment of peace.

going over boarders into the great adventure of NO MANS LAND
 Daily exposure to the brilliant energy the sun provides. Fresh air and beach time frolicking inspire the creative mind with ever changing back grounds in natures dramatic weather changes. I love the sun but the rain inspires quiet painting time. Allowing the mind to drift into deep passionate thought.
Outside is for living and observing, inside is for self reflection.

Finishing off the main canvas
I was nearing the end of completion and something just wasn't feeling right... Suddenly all the voices in my heads started reminding me that one repeated feed back was... MAKE IT BIGGER!

Reaching out, going further, turning corners
So I started to turn some corners and keep painting...
discussing details with my sketch book
making sure the details were natural... The ever seeing eye's. Pay attention to the world around you. put your phone away and look out the bus window. Leave your house carrying only your keys, better still stash them in a plant pot... Give your 100% attention and focus in everything you see. Live and enjoy the moment.
The 2nd stage is coming together nicely
I go on what I like to call 'art benders' I literally lock myself away and turn off my phone so I can focus. Allow nointeruptions in my thoughts... but we all need a bit of a break and some fun. Everytime I have stepped out to join a random outdoor gathering, I am reminded that Stanley started as a Fishermans village... And the fishermen and woman are still here. Which brings fresh seafood BBQ's to all out door events. I have enjoyed so much fresh seafood I just had to incorporate fish into my Mural of life inspiring work.

More detail planning needed 
At each stage, I sit back and think carefully about the direction and details needed. what fits, what colour blends do I need... 

Loving the vibrant life and action in this part
Thrilled with the vivid contrasting colours I feel I am expressing the intensity of how wildly passionate life is if you just let yourself tune in and follow your instincts

Make up ready for application :)
 More canvas, more inspiration, less blogging ;) back to the canvas...
in the meanwhile have a read of this...


Next blog  update Friday 21st September 2015

No comments: